Our History

Egelabra Merino Stud can trace its history back to the birth of the wool industry in Australia in 1797 with the introduction of Spanish blood Merinos by Captain Henry Waterhouse. Today, Egelabra runs 40,000 sheep and 3,000 cattle on 26,000 ha of prime grazing country near Warren, central New South Wales.

1797 "The Birth of the Wool Industry". Captain Henry Waterhouse imported Spanish blood Merinos from the Cape of Good Hope. Distributing the flock widely, he supplied Captain Macarthur, Rev Samuel Marsden, Captain Kent and Captain Rowley and retained part of the flock for himself.
     
1800's   Jon Betts, the Rev Samuel Marsden's son-in-law, ran Marsden's flocks on his properties at Molong.
     
1839   John Smith managed the properties for Jon Betts. Eventually he purchased his own land and with the original sheep from the Betts/Marsden flock, formed his own stud. He provided a sound-framed sheep with fine, medium wool - a Non-Peppin - which included the genes from six more Merinos he imported from England. He named his stud "Gamboola".
 
EGELABRA MERINOS are direct descendants of these early sheep
 
1879   The Kater Brothers, Edward and Henry founded the Mumblebone Stud, Warren NSW with repeat purchases of Gamboola rams and ewes.
     
1906   Henry Kater founded his own stud and named it "Egelabra".
     
1924   After Henry Kater's death, his son Norman took over ownership of the Stud.
     
1965   Sir Norman Kater chaired the company until 1965, leaving it under the control of his four sons; Henry, Dr (Mick) Norman, John and Sir Gregory.
     
TODAY   The principal shareholders of HE Kater & Son Pastoral Co Pty are Malcolm Kater (Chairman), son of John Kater, and Greg and David Kater, sons of Sir Gregory Kater.